Woman in hospital after oven-cleaner hiccup remedy mixup

A FEMALE diner is in intensive care in hospital after staff at a Gold Coast restaurant accidentally gave her oven cleaner to cure her hiccups.

The woman, believed to be in her 40s, swallowed the corrosive liquid on May 30.

She had been finishing up a meal with a friend at The Point Restaurant at Paradise Point last week when she began hiccuping uncontrollably.

A helpful staffer advised that vinegar was an instant cure and called for a small glass of the liquid from the kitchen.

The woman downed the clear liquid that was given to her and began choking as horrified staff realised they had accidentally poured out oven cleaner instead of vinegar.

It is understood a small bottle of cleaning fluid positioned beside a large bottle of vinegar may have been picked up in error.

Read more on the Gold Coast Bulletin

Topics:  gold coast hospital

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Snitz sizzles to win qualifier with ease

IN FULL FLIGHT: Brisbane jockey Robbie Fradd streaks clear to win the $150,000 NRRA Country Championships qualifier on board Snitz, trained by Matt Dunn, at Clarence River Jockey Club.

SHORT priced favourite sends everybody home happy.

Ballina Players brings popular military drama to the stage

ON STAGE: John Rado as Colonel Nathan Jessep and Dylan Wheeler as Lt Daniel Kaffee in the Ballina Players production of A Few Good Men.

Tickets are on sale for their new production of A Few Good Men

Local Partners