Knife-wielding captor arrested as Melbourne siege ends

A 35-year-old man has been arrested after a siege in a Melbourne restaurant ended this morning with the release of a woman who was being held hostage.

The 27-year-old woman was released about 5:30am (AEST) after being held by the knife-wielding man, who barricaded himself inside the Ludlow Bar and Dining restaurant at Southbank about 10:00pm yesterday.

Police said the man was a disgruntled former employee of the restaurant.
 

The man was wheeled out of the restaurant on a stretcher and taken to an ambulance for a precautionary assessment at St Vincent's Hospital after being tasered by police when he released the woman.

He had made his way into a store room at the rear of the restaurant armed with a knife earlier on Sunday night, a police spokesman said.

Read more at ABC News

 


Demanding new role for passionate swim coach

Premium Content Demanding new role for passionate swim coach

A leading swimming club has appointed one of its former aqua athletes as their new...

No heatwave, but possible severe weather on the way

Premium Content No heatwave, but possible severe weather on the way

Parts of the Northern Rivers could be impacted by a severe weather warning...

From baseball to art: 8 fantastic things to do this weekend

Premium Content From baseball to art: 8 fantastic things to do this weekend

From astronomy in Casino to cooking in Ballina, there’s plenty to do this...