Bluesfest will not go ahead over the Easter long weekend because of coronavirus measures.
Bluesfest will not go ahead over the Easter long weekend because of coronavirus measures. Paul Stanely-Jones

'We are heartbroken': Fate of Bluesfest decided

BLUESFEST will not go ahead this year as the government continues to clamp down on large events as the coronavirus crisis intensifies.

Festival boss Peter Noble made the announcement on the Bluesfest Facebook page, telling fans the federal government's ban on mass gatherings and the strict new quarantine requirements for any international travellers sealing the fate of the Easter event.  

RELATED: What to do if virus cancels your event

RELATED: Eerie change to Aussie TV shows

"It is obvious we will not be on this Easter," Mr Noble wrote.

"We are heartbroken as we believe we were presenting one of the best ever bills of talent for you. I was in discussions right through last week with every headliner - they ALL said they're coming as long as nothing occurred to prevent them from doing so. That is the level of commitment that our artists have, and I am proud of that.

"I must now thank every one of you for supporting us. The emails and posts are deeply appreciated at this time.

"We are now working through how to move forward and to give you details. I thank you for allowing us enough time to get everything in place for the best possible outcome for everyone."

It's the first time in 30 years the festival has not gone ahead. 

The news has been met by disappointment but understanding from fans and followers, who have left thousands of comments on the post.

Roger Clark wrote "very sad, but expected" while Bridget Buchanan praised the "wise and sensible decision".

"The community and people's lives are much more important at this stage. Bluesfest will be back bigger and better next year," she wrote. 

Jen Soutter pledged her support for the festival, promising to attend next year.

"I am pledging my support and will be ready and willing to purchase a 5 day ticket for 2021 as soon as they go on sale. I encourage everyone else to do the same," she wrote. 


‘Poor condition’ of bridge reduces  load limit

premium_icon ‘Poor condition’ of bridge reduces load limit

THE new limit will be effective from Monday, July 6.

‘Bureaucracy’ bench wars on popular North Coast beach

premium_icon ‘Bureaucracy’ bench wars on popular North Coast beach

THE council says the seats are “abandoned” and wants them removed, but locals say...

Virus is decimating bird population

premium_icon Virus is decimating bird population

Australian parrots rife with a dangerous virus