Uptown Funk on top as ARIA releases end-of-year charts
THE results are in and the Brits finished on top of Australia's music charts last year.
ARIA's End of Year 2015 charts review, released this morning, features Adele at the top of the Albums Chart and Mark Ronson at the top of the Singles Chart.
Adele easily topped the Albums Chart with 25, her highly anticipated return from a self-imposed hiatus.
Despite just six weeks in the survey, 25 was the highest selling album of last year and went platinum seven times.
The hit first single off the album, Hello, finished at No 5 in the ARIA Singles Chart. Even Adele's previous album 21, released in 2011, came in at No 32 for the year.
Mark Ronson's catchy Uptown Funk, featuring singer Bruno Mars, went platinum nine times in 2015 and spent 15 weeks in ARIA's Top 10.
Fellow Brits Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith also did well. Sheeran's 2014 album X was the second most popular album of last year, while Smith's album In The Lonely Hour placed sixth.
Australian artists accounted for 35 of the Top 100 albums and 14 of the Top 100 singles of last year.
The best-selling Australian album has been delivered by country singer Lee Kernaghan.
His album Spirit of the Anzacs came in at No 8 overall, with a platinum accreditation having spent four weeks at No 1 and nine weeks in the Top 10.
Other Aussies who found chart success last year included Sia, Vance Joy, Cold Chisel and Troye Sivan.
"It's been a fantastic year on the ARIA Charts, where we've been introduced to a crop of new artists, both local and international," said ARIA Chief Executive Officer Dan Rosen.
"It is very exciting to see 35 Aussie albums in top 100 this year. This is a great achievement for our
local industry and shows how Australian music fans have embraced our local artists.
"After such a great year, I look forward to what lies ahead on the ARIA Charts in 2016."
Top 10 Albums of 2015
1. Adele: 25
2. Ed Sheeran: X
3. Taylor Swift: 1989
4. Justin Bieber: Purpose
5. Meghan Trainor: Title
6. Sam Smith: In The Lonely Hour
7. Michael Buble: Christmas
8. Lee Kernaghan" Spirit Of The Anzacs
9. One Direction: Made In The A.M.
10. Florence + The Machine: How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful
Top 10 Singles of 2015
1. Mark Ronson Featuring Bruno Mars: Uptown Funk
2. Omi: Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix)
3. Wiz Khalifa Featuring Charlie Puth: See You Again
4. Hozier: Take Me To Church
5. Adele: Hello
6. Major Lazer Featuring MØ & DJ Snake: Lean On
7. Ellie Goulding: Love Me Like You Do
8. Walk The Moon: Shut Up & Dance
9. Justin Bieber: What Do You Mean?
10. Rihanna, Paul McCartney & Kanye West: FourFiveSeconds