Third generation Kia Cerato to start from $19,990
KIA'S new Cerato will start from $19,990, matching the Toyota Corolla and Nissan Pulsar but trumping the segment-leading Mazda3 at the price sensitive end of the market.
But the Korean brand's new offering is undercut but the recently released Holden Cruze which has and entry-point $500 cheaper. It also represents a price rise over t he previous iteration which was $19,640 plus on-road costs, while the sedan was $19,390.
Officially launched today in the Hunter Valley, the third generation Cerato sedan is longer, lower and wider than the current car (which has been selling strongly at $17,990 drive-away) and has an extended wheelbase.
There are two engine choices, a 1.8-litre petrol and a 2.0-litre petrol, with three trim levels - S, Si and SLi. The S grade is only available with the smaller powerplant.
We sampled the 2.0-litre unit today, and the Cerato has improved its game.
Like much of the latest Kia range, it's a sharp looking offering. Inside and out resonates quality and offers plenty of bang for your buck.
Standard equipment is good across the range, with the entry-level S offering six airbags, stability control, CD stereo with Bluetooth phone and audio connectivity, as well as air conditioning.
Through some twisty terrain the Cerato proved adept to quick changes in direction with its automatic transmission making timely shifts.
Interior space is good front and back, with reasonable head and leg room. Even those in the back have a good space allocation with passengers in the 180cm realm sitting up front.
The hatch derivative is expected to arrive in July.
KIA Cerato pricing - plus on-roads.
S - $19,990.
Si - $23,990
SLi - $27,990
SLi with nav - $28,990.
Automatic transmission costs $2000 extra.
Optional navigation system on SLi model is available from April '13 production.
Premium paint at additional $520
Model: Kia Cerato.
Details: Four-door front-wheel drive small sedan.
Engines: 1.8-litre four-cylinder petrol generating maximum power of 110kW @ 6500rpm and peak torque of 178Nm @ 4700rpm; 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol 129kW @ 6500rpm and 209Nm @ 4700rpm.
Transmissions: Six-speed manual or six-speed automatic.
Consumption: 6.6 litres/100km (1.8 manual); 7.1 (1.8 auto); 7.4 (2.0 manual and auto).
Performance: 0-100kmh in 8.5 seconds (2.0-litre manual), 9.0 (2.0 auto); 9.3 (1.8 manual), 10.2 (1.8 auto).
Kia Cerato S
- 16inch steel wheels (205/55 R16) with full-size spare
- ESC (Electronic Stability Control) with TCS/ABS/EBD/BA
- VSM (Vehicle Stability Management) with HAC
- ESS (Emergency Stop Signal)
- MDPS with FlexSteer (three settings: Comfort/Normal/Sport)
- Front corner and rear parking sensors
- Front fog lamps
- 6 SRS airbags (front / front side / curtain)
- Keyless entry with folding key set
- Cloth seats
- 6-way driver's seat adjustment (height adjust - pumping device)
- Front centre console armrest (with storage box and bin) and front twin cup holders
- Split fold rear seats (60:40)
- Rear centre armrest with twin cup holders
- Body coloured bumpers, door handles & outside door mirrors
- Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
- Dot-matrix type LCD instrument cluster with multi-function trip computer
- Power windows (front and rear) with driver's auto down
- MP3 compatible CD player with AM/FM tuner
- Six speakers (front door, rear door & front tweeters)
- AUX/USB input with iPod compatibility
- Bluetooth functionality (phone/media stream)
- Steering wheel mounted audio/Bluetooth controls
- Manual air-conditioning
Kia Cerato Si (S trim +)
- 16-inch alloy wheels (205/55 R16) with full-size alloy spare
- Rear view camera with in-audio screen display & parking guidelines
- Dusk-sensing automatic headlamps
- Smart key with push button start & welcome lights (puddle/pocket)
- Electric folding outside door mirrors with automatic folding function
- Front centre console armrest sliding function
- Chrome accented highlights (waist-line & door handles)
- Chrome tip rear muffler
- UV cut glass (windscreen)
- Aero-blade type front wipers
- Premium steering wheel & shift knob
- Artificial leather wrapped instrument cluster
- Front power windows auto up & down with safety function
Premium interior trim
(carbon-fibre look fascia / chrome look interior door handles / soft-touch door trim)
- Sunvisor illumination
- Seat back pocket (passenger side)
- 4.3" full touch colour LCD audio screen
- Rear air vent
Kia Cerato SLi (Si trim +)
- 17-inch" alloy wheels (215/45 R17) with full-size alloy spare
- Electrochromic rear view mirror (auto dimming)
- LED daytime running lights (DRL)
- HID type front headlamps
- LED rear combination lamps
- Leather trim seats
- 8-way power driver's seat plus lumbar support
- IMS driver's seat with 2 seating position memory & easy access function
- Powered sunroof (slide & tilt)
- Paddle shifters (A/T only)
- Colour TFT Supervision instrument cluster
- Alloy sports pedals
- Cooling glovebox
- Dual-zone climate control air-conditioning
- Clean Air module
- Auto defog system
- Ventilated driver's seat
- Front seat warmers
+ Optional Satellite Navigation (from April production)
- 7-inch full touch colour LCD screen
- Satellite Navigation multimedia system with traffic information (SUNA)
- DVD Player (video playback only functional while stationary)
- Shark fin type GPS antenna