Teenager suffers burns in camping trip gone wrong
A MACKAY teenager escaped with superficial burns caused by an explosion gone wrong at a celebration last weekend.
A group of friends travelled to Eungella for a couple of days of camping and drinking.
But it didn't go to plan when 18-year-old Rhys Carter had to be rushed to hospital after suffering burns to his face and hands.
Mr Carter claims a man camping with them threw a canister of acetone on the fire, unbeknown to Mr Carter who was sitting close-by.
"I went to grab my drink... and then it just exploded, this big fire it was burning me," he said.
"It was attached to my hat and my shirt, my face was all burning.
"It was hot, extremely hot, I had never felt that pain before.
"I had to roll on the ground to get it all off and then I went down to the lake to wash my hands.
"All the others in the camp-site reckon it sounded like fireworks going off."
A friend who was not drinking drove from the campsite into the township to find phone reception.
There they called an ambulance and Mr Carter's mother Robyn.
Ambulance staff asked them to drive to the bottom of the range, where they rushed him to hospital.
At Mackay Base Hospital he was taken into Intensive Care because he was having trouble breathing and doctors thought he might have consumed the chemicals.
He stayed there for two days before being transferred to the surgical ward and was released the next day.
Mr Carter's face has almost completely healed, but his hands will remain bandaged for several weeks.
He said it could have been so much worse.
"I thought my face was going to scar," he said.
Mother Robyn said it was frightening to receive a phone call at 3am, but she said it was a lucky escape considering she could have easily been planning her son's funeral.
Mr Carter has made a formal complaint with police and the incident is being investigated.