Summer’s memory to live forever
A BEAUTIFUL little girl who lost her life after swallowing a small battery is being remembered thanks to a special garden created by friends at her childcare centre.
Summer Steer was just four when she innocently swallowed the battery in late June.
The seemingly innocuous action triggered a reaction that led to her tragic death.
In the months after her loss, the owners and staff at Tewantin Early Learning Centre decided to create a special garden in their grounds to remember their young friend.
The idea had the complete support of Summer's parents, Brad and Andrea, and the centre set about organising the project.
Centre director Gaylyn Trinder said Summer was a joy to have around, a little girl who was "vibrant and very easy to like".
"It rocked our community here," Ms Trinder said of the tragedy.
"We had parents, staff, teachers; people wanted to do something."
The plan was to create a garden with a fairies theme for the girls and a hobbit theme for the boys.
Within weeks, the centre had received scores of donations of money, numerous plants, planter boxes, a garden arch and even a garden bench.
More than 30 people - not only parents and staff but also complete strangers - turned up at a working bee last month to roll up their sleeves to create the memorial to a special little girl.
"For a lot of them, it was quite scary knowing that sort of thing could happen," Ms Trinder said.
"Nobody in our world knew about the dangers of these little batteries but, by golly, we all know now.
"It was good to be part of a community that just wanted to do something for a special little girl.
"I think it was heart-warming. It was a really great event.''
The garden will be opened officially at a ceremony on Tuesday at 10.30am.