Sentence delay in teen sexual assault case

A DISTRICT Court sentencing of a 38-year-old Clarence Valley man and his partner, who conspired to sexually assault the woman's 13-year-old daughter, has taken a twist.

On the eve of the hearing in Grafton Court House yesterday, the female co-accused of Cowper man Warwick Lee told the court she no longer agreed with the police facts in the case.

The pair had pleaded guilty to a series of charges stemming from the December 30, 2011 sexual assault on the woman's daughter, in which the woman urged Lee to sexually assault her daughter while she assisted him.

Judge Mark Marien has forbidden the publication of the woman's name to protect the identity of her children.

Early in the hearing the accused's daughter presented a victim impact statement to the court telling how the sexual assault by her mother and her boyfriend had affected her.

She told the court of the physical and mental pain since the assault, describing how she was angry she had lost part of her childhood and took this anger out on her family.

She said police had been called because of her violent behaviour.

She has self-harmed and her family cannot have sharp objects around the house.

She said she didn't trust people in her family, although she still loved her mother, but wanted to stop wishing she hated her.

The hearing has been adjourned until April 8.


A profitable partnership

A profitable partnership

East Ballina Lions and Ballina Fair partner to support farmers

Keeping the heart beating

Keeping the heart beating

Bike ride to raise AED awareness

Skatefest going ahead

Skatefest going ahead

Fair Go Skatefest to run again this year

Local Partners