Riot charges dropped
ON FRIDAY, The Daily Examiner learnt the juveniles charged with being involved in the Valentine's Day Yamba riot will not face court over the incident.
A solicitor acting for one of the juveniles told The Examiner he had received notification from the police they would be dropping all charges against all the juveniles involved.
Yesterday, a police spokeswoman said police had sought and received legal advice regarding the matters before the court.
She said it had been decided it was in the best interests of everyone involved to withdraw all charges.
The decision to withdraw the charges comes one month after the adult trial finished with all men charged with the riot being acquitted of all charges.
At the time, the verdict sent shockwaves across NSW, even making the front page of The Sydney Morning Herald.
Parliamentary secretary for police and Clarence MP Steve Cansdell said he wasn't surprised the charges against the juveniles were dropped after the adults charged were found not guilty.
“The whole case has sent the wrong message; it's very disappointing from a police point of view,” he said.
“The investigation was probably not handled as well as it should have been.
“That was unfortunate, but as I'm told, the magistrate said these guys dodged a bullet.
“I'd like to see more police get easier access to enter properties at times of escalating problems.”
Police superintendent Mark Holahan previously said police would learn from the court's decision and move on.