HOCKEYROOS players Jayde Taylor and Brooke Peris have become internet sensations after their selfie was photo-bombed by the Queen.
The picture, retweeted almost 7800 times in the first nine hours, was taken after Australia's 4-0 win over Malaysia in the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Thursday.
Hockey Australia officials were bombarded with requests for interviews with the pair from a host of American TV networks, and the photo was splashed across the front pages of most of the British newspaper websites, the frontpage of The Times newspaper the BBC Sport homepage and the Huffington Post.
Taylor admitted the photograph was planned after the Queen met the players on a visit to the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.
"Brooke and I planned it so that when she came out the door she would be behind us.
"And then she came out and smiled at the camera. We were in the right spot at the right time."
WHAT'S HOT ACROSS THE SITES
- Wreckage of Air Algerie passenger plane 'found in desert'
- Israel under fire after 15 die at UN school
- Peed off: man uses city's water supply as toilet
- Staff in shock after death of 'avid snorkeller'
- It's arson or I'm a methodist preacher, says canegrower
- Paul Hogan divorces Linda Kozlowski
- Video: Cyclist films moment car crashes into him
- Holidaying Palmer refuses to bite on Lambie's 'well hung'
- Queen photobombs selfie taken by Hockeyroos
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.