Prince William breaks silence on Megxit

 

Prince William has told a pal he can't "put his arm around" his brother anymore - after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle abandoned their royal duties.

He revealed his "sadness" over the tense relationship with his younger brother and the splitting of the Royal Family, according to The Sun.

It comes days after Harry and Meghan announced they are stepping down as senior royals and plan to spend much of their time abroad.

 

 

The news took Buckingham Palace by surprise, with the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William, 37, given 10 minutes notice before the button was pressed.

Amid crisis talks and upset at the bombshell, The Sunday Times reports the Duke of Cambridge hopes ones day everyone will "play on the team" again.

He said: "I've put my arm around my brother all our lives and I can't do that anymore; we're separate entities. I'm sad about that.

"All we can do, and all I can do, is try and support them and hope that the time comes when we're all singing from the same page."

The Queen has summoned Charles, William and Harry to a historic summit at Sandringham on Monday to thrash out the Royal Family's future.

Her Majesty also aims to sort the Sussexes' roles, and Meghan, 38, could join in via conference call.

The Queen's former press secretary Dickie Arbiter said tonight: "This is a landmark meeting which is ­absolutely unprecedented."

A Palace source confirmed they will also discuss the "next steps" for the monarchy, with an announcement due within days.

They said said: "The family will gather on Monday at Sandringham to talk things through.

"Attendees will be Her Majesty, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of Sussex.

"Following a series of meetings and consultations across the last few days, there are a range of possibilities for the family to review which take into account the thinking the Sussexes outlined earlier in the week.

"Making a change to the working lives and the role in the monarchy for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will require both complex and thoughtful discussions.

"Next steps will be agreed at the meeting and the request for this to be resolved at pace is still Her Majesty's wish.

"The aim remains to have it resolved in days not weeks. There are a range of possibilities to review."

 

The Queen is seeking future continuity and will not want Harry and Meghan open to accusations that they will "cash in".

Charles wants a smooth succession to the throne, and for his sons to retain their global star power.

William's aims include a modern and progressive royal family, and not to be overshadowed by his brother and sister-in-law.

Prince Harry is said to suspect aides to William or Charles leaked his plan, with the other side blaming Meghan's US PR team.

 

The couple say they will be "financially independent" as they "carve out a progressive new role", but will still support the Queen.

They had reportedly told close friends they want to spend some of the next two months working out of Canada after a six-week trial holiday over Christmas and New Year was deemed highly successful.

Friends in Canada and the US are supportive of the move, which they say comes after the couple have been sidelined by the monarchy.

Meghan, 38, flew to Britain on Monday after the couple spent six weeks away over Christmas.

But she has already returned to their luxury bolthole on Vancouver Island, Canada.

The Queen is not going to leave her grandson penniless. Picture: Matt Dunham/News Corp
The Queen is not going to leave her grandson penniless. Picture: Matt Dunham/News Corp

It is rumoured Harry may fly to Canada to join his her as early as next week and there are fears he may never live in the UK ever again.

This comes as it has emerged the couple's two dogs have stayed in North America after flying out with them for their Christmas break - in another clue that the break could be permanent.

Harry has a "packed" diary next week including an official engagement at Buckingham Palace on Thursday - which could be his last as a working royal, the Daily Mail reports.

This article originally appeared on The Sunand was reproduced with permission.


5 myths about The Northern Star we want to bust

5 myths about The Northern Star we want to bust

OPINION: Our journos have been covering news that matters on the Northern Rivers...

Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Queensland border: Opening with NSW in November may be in doubt

FLYING HIGH: Number of flights into Ballina set to jump

Premium Content FLYING HIGH: Number of flights into Ballina set to jump

Ballina airport is going gangbusters, with the number of flights set to increase by...