Preparing your home:
A well prepared home is more likely to survive a bush fire. Even if your plan is to leave early, the more you prepare your home, the more likely it will survive a bush fire or ember attack.
Here are some basic maintenance tips to prepare your property:
- Clean your gutters of leaves and twigs
- Install fine metal mesh screens on windows and doors
- Enclose the areas under the house
- Keep lawns short and gardens well maintained, and clean up fallen leaves, twigs and debris
- Cut back trees and shrubs overhanging buildings
- Have hoses long enough to reach around your house
Preparing your family:
To help your family prepare for a bush fire, you need to make a Bush Fire Survival Plan.
This will help you make important decisions like when to leave, what to take, and what to do with animals.
If you have any doubts about your ability to cope, plan to leave early, well before a fire reaches your area.
People who are at higher risk, such as children, elderly, disabled or with medical problems, should always leave early.
Creating your own plan can be made easier with the help of the My Fire Plan app, which can be downloaded for free from iTunes or Google Play.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.