HOUSE FIRE: Queensland Fire and Rescue crews attended a house fire at Emerald on Sunday night.
HOUSE FIRE: Queensland Fire and Rescue crews attended a house fire at Emerald on Sunday night. Laura Telford

Phone charger causes house fire

A PHONE charger caused a house to catch fire on Garnet Street in Emerald on Sunday night.

The fire was reported to emergency services by someone driving past the property at 7.27pm.

Three fire crews had the fire under control and contained by 7.55pm.

The property was unattended at the time and no one was injured in the event.

The investigation is ongoing however emergency services suspect a phone charger which had been resting on a bed to be the cause of the blaze.

The fire caused damage to twenty percent of the property including a bedroom and an entertainment area.

Emerald Fire Brigade Acting Officer-In-Charge Peter Carroll said the event is a timely reminder for the public.

"We would like to remind the community that it is important to always be mindful about turning phone chargers off before leaving the house," he said.


'VERY HOT': Summer strikes hard, chance of storms every day

Premium Content 'VERY HOT': Summer strikes hard, chance of storms every day

Northern Rivers is in for a rollercoaster week of weather

Accused cop biter says police are ‘corrupt’, court hears

Premium Content Accused cop biter says police are ‘corrupt’, court hears

***GRAPHIC CONTENT*** A Lismore man accused of biting the ear of an off-duty police...

3 weird things that can cause traffic chaos in Ballina

Premium Content 3 weird things that can cause traffic chaos in Ballina

Road rage and traffic jams are perfectly normal in Byron Bay, but things can get...