THE floods and storms that impacted the North Coast earlier this year have been replaced by perfect Autumn weather ideal for prescribed burning operations in the region's National Parks.
National Parks (NPWS) North Coast Regional Manager Alan Jeffery said despite storms and heavy rain earlier in the year, which affected fire trails, NPWS fire crews are taking advantage of the recent dry and sunny weather to undertake a large amount of prescribed burning.
"In the last week, burns in coastal reserves including Bongil Bongil, Yuraygir and Yarriabini National Parks have been undertaken as well as hinterland burns in Guy Fawkes River, Dunggir and Willi Willi National Parks and Gumbaynggirr State Conservation Area", Mr Jeffery said.
"Much work was undertaken to repair and reopen fire trails following the storms allowing the NPWS to complete the burning last week and, while dry autumn conditions remain, a series of further burns are planned.
"Regular National Parks staff have been assisted by crews from the Enhanced Bushfire Management Program who specifically work on hazard reduction and wildfire suppression operations.
"The North Coast Region's prescribed burning operations are part of a coordinated state wide program to hazard reduction in NSW national parks and reserves.
"Further prescribed burning operations are planned this week in Kumbatine National Park near Kempsey, Hat Head National Park near South West Rocks, Ngaamba Nature Reserve south west of Macksville, Garby Nature Reserve near Arrawarra and in Yuraygir National Park near Angourie.
"We will also be using our new specialist hazard reduction crews based in Coffs Harbour to enable fires to be tackled faster and more effectively."
The NSW Government had made fire management in NSW national parks a priority - with more funding, more fire fighters and more hazard reduction than ever before.
Since July 1, 2012 the NPWS has completed more than 210 burns totalling more than 110,000ha - our largest ever hazard reduction program.
This is more than 65 per cent of all hazard reduction carried out in NSW during the period, despite NPWS managing just 25 per cent of the state's fire prone land.
This hazard reduction burn is part of the NSW Government's $62.5 million package to boost bushfire preparedness and double hazard reduction in the state's national parks over where conditions allow.
Click here for more information on planned hazard reduction burns.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.