Mum says iPhone 7 left her with second degree burns

A SYDNEY mother claims to have has suffered second degree burns after falling asleep with her iPhone 7 resting on her arm. 

Melanie Tan Pelaez took to Facebook to alert the public about what happened.

"I recently purchased an Apple iPhone 7 and accidentally fell asleep with my arm on my phone whilst it was charging," the western Sydney resident posted.

"I was woken up by sudden pain, pins and needles, numbness and shortness of breath.

"This is a picture of the result of sleeping with my phone whilst charging. PLEASE be careful... 

"I have been an iPhone user since the beginning and have never had an issue or concern, so it's really scary and disappointing that something like this happened and can happen to someone else."

Ms Pelaez, who is presently pregnant, told News.com.au she went to the doctor the morning after the burns appeared and was told she needed to go to hospital. 

After a number of tests she was told a foreign object was responsible and she says she then paired up the shape of the burns with the shape of her phone. 

Apple says the phone has a function which means it shuts down before over heating.

Apple has been contacted for comment. 


5 myths about The Northern Star we want to bust

5 myths about The Northern Star we want to bust

OPINION: Our journos have been covering news that matters on the Northern Rivers...

Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Qld opening with NSW now in doubt

Queensland border: Opening with NSW in November may be in doubt

FLYING HIGH: Number of flights into Ballina set to jump

Premium Content FLYING HIGH: Number of flights into Ballina set to jump

Ballina airport is going gangbusters, with the number of flights set to increase by...