Man dies after being served detergent instead of wine

A MAN has died after he asked for a glass of white wine in a cafe and was accidentally served dishwasher detergent.

According to local paper El Periódico Mediterraneo, Spanish Police are investigating and the café owner has been arrested.

Andres Lorente, 50, felt a burning sensation after drinking the glass of what he thought was wine on Sunday afternoon at Bar Raconet in the Spanish region of Castellón.

Medical staff rushed to the scene to attempt to resuscitate him.

However, the divorced father of two died from major internal burns in Comarcal de Vinaròs Hospital.

According to Spanish news source The Local Es, the lethal liquid "had been stored in an empty bottle of wine and mistakenly been put in the fridge by a member of staff."


Latest instalment in Mullum Madness coming to silver screen

Premium Content Latest instalment in Mullum Madness coming to silver screen

Film delves into some of the creative ‘firsts’ in the alternative scene of the...

‘Ms Maguire’: Gladys attacked by reporter

‘Ms Maguire’: Gladys attacked by reporter

‘Ms Maguire’: Gladys Berejiklian grilled by reporters over shredding scandal

'Costly, unnecessary': Fresh opposition to Dunoon dam

Premium Content 'Costly, unnecessary': Fresh opposition to Dunoon dam

Another group has voiced concerns about the proposed water strategy