Man arrested after New Year's Eve threats
A MAN accused of making online threats on a blog regarding New Year's Eve will bring in the new year behind bars.
Damian O'Neil was formally refused bail today at Parramatta Local Court.
The case was adjourned to January 10 when his lawyer, Shaun Mortimar, said he was likely to apply for bail at Central Court.
The 40-year-old was charged with allegedly making threats relating to tomorrow night's festivities.
Police from the Terrorism Investigation Squad yesterday arrested O'Neil at Sydney International Airport following a tip off from a member of the public.
He had returned to Sydney on a flight from London.
A search warrant was conducted at a residence in Chippendale, in inner Sydney, and an inner western Sydney storage facility where items including documents and hard drives were seized.
O'Neil was taken to Mascot Police Station and charged with "Documents containing threats contrary to Section 31 Crimes Act 1900 concerning online blogs".
The 40-year-old was refused bail prior to his appearance in Parramatta Local Court.
Mr Mortimar said he was not "at liberty" to comment on the case yet.
Deputy Commissioner, Specialist Operations, Catherine Burn APM said we take all threats seriously.
"Investigations into this matter so far indicate this was an isolated incident.
"As a consequence, we are confident that there are no current or specific threats to New Year's Eve and, while we ask people to remain vigilant, people should enjoy the celebrations.
"The community should be also reassured that we will take swift action to ensure the ongoing safety of the public," Deputy Commissioner Burn said.