Lots for the kids to do in holidays
KIDS have the unique opportunity to learn some skills from renowned local Aboriginal artist Digby Moran at a workshop in Ballina on April 26.
The workshop is part of a series organised by Ballina Shire Council held during the school holidays at the council's River St "pop-up" shop in the Wigmore Arcade complex next to Specsavers.
There are still places left in the 11.45am art workshop for kids aged 7-14.
Digby will be exploring the natural heritage of our shire, bringing some of his own paintings to show the kids and inspire them - particularly to inspire them to think about our local environment (pipi birds, lorikeets etc).
He will be using the traditional dot painting medium with them.
All equipment and canvases are provided. Parents need to attend with the kids.
Workshops cost $10 per participant and must be booked and paid for at council's Customer Service Centre, Cherry St, prior to attending.
Other workshops include:
- Green Cleaning, April 23, 10am-noon - make your own environmentally friendly cleaning products, $10 for materials - all ages;
- Bush Friendly Gardening, April 23, 2pm-3pm, talk to experts about attracting birds and preventing nasties escaping into local bushland, free - all ages;
- Water Wednesday, April 24, 10am-4pm, water games, find the water critters, free - all ages (head in for a chance to win a mini iPad)
- Saltwater Women, April 27, 10am-11.30am, block printing celebrating our natural heritage, ages 7-14 years, $10 per child.
Phone 6686 1284 for more information or check the website http://www.ballina.nsw.gov.au.
Other activities on the program:
- Birdwatching at South Ballina, April 24, 1.30pm-3pm, run by Discovery Rangers from the National Parks and Wildlife Service. Phone 6686 1420 to book and meet at South Ballina Beach car park. Free - all ages;
- Flat Rock Native Bushland walking tour, April 28, 9am-10.30am, guided tour to explore the cultural history and environmental heritage, meet at Flat Rock Tent Park car park, light refreshments. Free - all ages. Hosts, Ballina Coastcare Inc.