Kings of coasters sit on throne
IF you've had a drink at various venues around the region, you could have used a product of this year's winner of the Ballina Coast and Hinterland Business of the Year award and not even realised it.
Solprom Advertising and Marketing, from Ballina, picked up the gong at last Saturday's award ceremony held at the Ballina RSL Club and organised by the Ballina Chamber of Commerce.
If you raised a glass in their honour at venues across the region you could have put your drink back down on something they produced: a coaster.
Solprom Advertising and Marketing was born 21 years ago after owners, Phil and Janelle Calnan, bought the business, Coaster Kings.
Phil and Janelle's son, Gavin Calnan, accepted the award.
He said coasters are now only a small part of the family business that employs seven, including his brothers Stephen and Michael and Michael's wife, Rikki-Lee.
The business supports other businesses by providing TV production for advertising, graphic design services and other print advertising material.
Gavin Calnan said he was "stoked" for the business to win the award.
"We work hard every day," he said.
The MC for the awards was Mike Whitney, a former Australian Test cricketer and now host of the television show Sydney Weekender.
He said he had former school mates who lived at Wardell, and enjoyed his regular trips to the North Coast. He estimated he has done 50 stories in the region for the television show.
Last Saturday was the 35th anniversary of his Test debut.
- Business of the Year: Solprom Marketing and Advertising;
- Best New Business: Spaceman Storage;
- Customer Service: Ballina RSL Club;
- Fitness and Wellness: Lifeworks Pilates;
- Hair and Beauty: Tonic Hair and Beauty;
- Health and Aged Care: Physio Plus;
- Home-based Business: Heartfelt Homes;
- Hospitality: Cafe Swish;
- Manufacturing and Innovation: Horizon Motorhomes;
- Professional Services: Barefruit Marketing;
- Retail Outlet: Bicycle Emporium;
- Sustainable: Summerland House Farm;
- Don King Community and Social Services Award: FSG Australia;
- Tourism: Ballina Central North Coast Holiday Park;
- Trade and Construction: Morgan Earthworks;
- Workplace Safety: Active Pest Management;
- People's choice (runner-up): Curves Ballina;
- People's Choice (winner): Eight Brothers