A CONVICTED murderer facing child sex offences was granted bail in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court minutes before a traffic offender's bail application was refused.
Magistrate Rod Masden granted bail to the accused child molester on strict conditions yesterday and then refused bail for James Scott Turner, 43, who faces charges of disqualified driving and failing to appear in court.
The court heard the accused molester, whose name cannot be published at this stage, had been granted parole in 1996 after serving 15 years for murder.
He was on parole when he allegedly committed offences against two children in 1999 and 2009.
The court was told that his parole was revoked in December last year after he was charged with three counts of indecent treatment of a child under 16, two counts of indecent treatment of a child under 12, and two counts of rape.
Police had opposed bail for the man because of the nature and seriousness of the new charges levelled against him and the risk that he would reoffend.
After hearing submissions from prosecutor Sergeant Tania FitzGerald and lawyer Alicia Thomas, Mr Masden said he was satisfied that bail conditions could reduce the risk of the man reoffending.
The man must live with his partner at a Palmwoods address, report three times a week to police, stay at least 100 metres away from Palmwoods State School, surrender his passport, and have no contact with his alleged victims and no unsupervised contact with any girls aged under 17.
Mr Masden warned the man that his "incarceration is still a matter for the parole board at this stage".
Although he has been granted bail, the man will remain in custody until he makes a successful application to the parole board for release.
He will appear for mention in the Redcliffe Magistrates Court on June 29.
Meanwhile, Mr Turner, of Kuluin, who the court heard had a history of failing to appear on charges, was remanded in custody to reappear on July 7.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.