A FORMER Islamic State recruit who hopes to return to Australia is unlikely to get a special deal after talks over his return stalled.
The un-named recruit wants to come home after becoming disillusioned with the reality of fighting with the terrorist organisation.
Lawyer Rob Stary said he had been in talks with Australian officials about the Victorian man's return, but those negotiations had stalled.
The man, Mr Stary told ABC Radio on Tuesday, did not expect to escape terrorism charges and had worked as a medic with the IS. Australians who go to fight with such terrorist groups can face life in prison if they attempt to return home. It comes after Prime Minister Tony Abbott reiterated previous warnings that such people would not be welcomed back in Australia.
The government is also understood to be trying to revoke foreign fighters' Australian citizenships.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.