QUEENSLAND'S Gympie Times and Sunshine Coast Daily have won international recognition at the 85th annual INMA World Congress in New York.
The winners of one of the world's most prestigious news media awards were announced a short time ago.
Gympie won a significant category and the Sunshine Coast Daily was second in another at the function at the Edison Ballroom in New York's Times Square.
The International News Media Association INMA is perhaps the biggest international media organisation, with 7000 members and 600 media companies involved.
The awards generated 578 entries from 190 market-leading companies in 38 countries.
Gympie won: Best Idea to Encourage print Readership or Engagement.
Editor Craig Warhurst's entry showcased the fine work done at many levels across the paper in 2014 to actually grow circulation.
Australian Regional Media also won marketing gongs for the dinosaur and seeds promotions last year, and got recognition for the Bundles initiative that is working well for the advertising teams.
The INMA win for Gympie comes on top of their PANPA (Asia-Pacific) newspaper of the year win last year.
"It doesn't get much better for a paper,'' Australian Regional Media editorial director Bryce Johns said in a memo to staff.
"Well done Craig and the team, I'm sure no one will object to the champagne corks popping this afternoon."
Mr Warhurst is widely acknowledged as one of the hardest-working and most community-minded editors in ARM.
Australian Regional Media group digital editor Mark Furler said the INMA silver prize was a great result, given the strong competition.
He paid tribute to his team, including social media editor Alexia Purcell and ARM's digital producers who work on each of the firm's Facebook pages and websites.
"We have a great team who work hard to stay connected with our readers and ensure we provide timely and relevant information on the issues that matter to locals.''
THE Australian Regional Media winners and finalists
Best Idea to Encourage Print Readership or Engagement
• First Place: The Gympie Times, Australia, "The Gympie Times"
• Second Place: Diário do Pará, Belém, Brazil, "Passport Belem: 100 Things to Do in Here"
• Third Place: Vanguardia, Saltillo, Mexico, "Leer Mata"
Best Use of Social Media
• First Place: El Colombiano, Medellín, Colombia, "Twittercrónica"
• Second Place: Sunshine Coast Daily, Maroochydore, Australia, "Sunshine Coast Daily: Connecting the Coast"
• Third Place: 7DAYS, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, "7DAYS Football Fever"
Best Idea to Grow Single-Copy Sales
• First Place: APN Australian Regional Media, Brisbane, Australia, "APN ARM Dinosaurs Collector Cards"
• Second Place: APN Australian Regional Media, Brisbane, Australia, "APN ARM Free Seeds Giveaway"
• Third Place: Diario Panorama, Maracaibo, Venezuela, "100 Triunfadores - Edición Aniversario 100 Años"
Best Idea to Grow Advertising Sales or Retain Advertising Clients
• First Place: South China Morning Post, Hong Kong, China, "APAC Innovation Summit 2014"
• Second Place: VG, Oslo, Norway, "Win Through VG"
• Third Place: APN ARM Group of Newspapers, Australia, "APN ARM Bundles"
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.