EXPLODING DESK: Luke Parer’s glass computer bench exploded in the middle of the night.
EXPLODING DESK: Luke Parer’s glass computer bench exploded in the middle of the night. Patrick Woods

Glass desk explodes on its own, embedding shards in walls

LUKE Parer got the shock of his life in the early hours of the morning when his glass computer bench exploded, sending dangerous shards across the room.

Mr Parer, 19, said he had been using the computer before heading off to bed at about 1am.

After a quick shower and jumping into bed, Mr Parer said he had been in bed no more than five minutes when a "massive bang" rocked the house.

"I thought it was lightning at first," he said.

"My right ear was still ringing the morning after."

The explosion had been the bench exploding, sending glass up to four metres in every direction with such force, he found fragments lodged into the wall across the room.

His keyboard had been thrown about half a metre from where it had been sitting on the bench, while the computer chair he had been sitting at less than 20 minutes earlier was covered in glass shards.

"If I'd still been sitting there it would've cut well into my legs and my arm, which had been resting on the bench," Mr Parer said.

He said he had posted the warning on Sunny Coast Community Board on Facebook, to let others know, especially families with young kids, of the potential safety risk of glass furniture.

Mr Parer said the furniture suppliers had offered him a replacement.

He said that he would not be buying another glass table.

"I've gone for a wooden one this time," the Buderim resident said.

"And I'm not going to be buying any new glass ones that's for sure."

A profitable partnership

A profitable partnership

East Ballina Lions and Ballina Fair partner to support farmers

Keeping the heart beating

Keeping the heart beating

Bike ride to raise AED awareness

Skatefest going ahead

Skatefest going ahead

Fair Go Skatefest to run again this year

Local Partners