George Pell regrets legal battle with sexual abuse survivor

CARDINAL George Pell has told the royal commission he regrets calling on child abuse victim John Ellis to prove what had happened to him in court, despite already believing him.

Giving evidence today, about the Sydney Archdiocese' 2004 legal battle with the lawyer, Cardinal Pell rejected the suggestion the church had technically denied the abuse had taken place and insisted it was his legal team that had advised him to "dispute" the facts of the case.

He said it was "wrong that it went to such an extent" and regretted that it had.

Cardinal Pell had been on the stand since Monday.

He was expected to fly to Rome to take up his new position as financial adviser to the Vatican once the hearing was over.


EASY GUIDE: How to get your tickets for Splendour 2018

EASY GUIDE: How to get your tickets for Splendour 2018

Line-up has been revealed, now it's time to get ready for festival

The new rules you need to know if you use e-cigarettes

The new rules you need to know if you use e-cigarettes

The Health Minister has announced new regulations

IN DEMAND: Second screening for Simon Baker film

IN DEMAND: Second screening for Simon Baker film

Ballina Fair Cinema will host another screening of Breath

Local Partners