Cronulla come from behind to claim close win over Knights

Paul Gallen
Paul Gallen Ian Hitchcock / Getty Images

AFTER a stack of missed field goal attempts from both teams, the Sharks recorded a morale-boosting 21-20 win over the Knights in golden point extra-time at Hunter Stadium yesterday.

But a knee injury to skipper Paul Gallen, which could sideline him for the next few weeks, put a dampener on the breakthrough win.

After three missed attempts from Todd Carney, and two from Knights hooker Kurt Gidley, it was Cronulla halfback Jeff Robson that sealed the game in the 85th minute from right in front.

It was a victory the Shire outfit desperately needed after losing its past four matches.

The Sharks levelled at 8-all after 27 minutes thanks to a Jonathan Wright double, but a David Fa'alogo try put the hosts up 14-8 at halftime.

The Sharks, showing great courage without their captain, bounced back through four-pointers to Beau Ryan and Todd Carney to take a 20-14 lead on the hour mark.

Carney, who has received criticism for not taking on the line, did just that for his try.

The Knights equalised nine minutes later, with a nice passing exchange between Gidley, Timana Tahu and Alex McKinnon leading to a Tyrone Roberts try, before both sides traded field goal shots.

Topics:  cronulla sharks newcastle knights nrl rugby league

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Rubbish truck's load catches alight

A J.R. Richards and Sons rubbish truck container caught alight on the Pacific Highway.

Fire in skip bin causes traffic hold ups

VIDEO: Cycling video secures driver conviction

VIDEO EVIDENCE: A motorcyclist has lost his licence for 18 months after his assault on two cyclists in June 2017 was captured on a rear-light bicycle video camera.

Motorcyclist loses licence after cyclist assault

Man trapped under vehicle flown to hospital

NSW ambulance in Coffs Harbour.

Westpac chopper on it way to property north of Ballina

Local Partners