Brett Peter Cowan
Brett Peter Cowan

First photos reveal family life of Daniel's accused killer

THREE weeks after Daniel Morcombe disappeared, his accused murderer Brett Peter Cowan was snapped smiling in a family photo with his wife Tracey and six-month-old son.

He looks tanned and slim as they stand with arms around each other while they hold their new baby at a Boxing Day event at Redlands Bay, in south-east Brisbane.

Five days earlier police had been at his home at 73a Alfs Pinch Road at Beerwah taking photos of him in relation to a missing person investigation.

As well as a full frontal face shot, other snaps showed a tattoo depicting a skull with a smoking gun on his left shoulder and a tattoo of a skull, wearing a top hat and feather, smoking a fat joint on his right shoulder.

There is also a pinkish red scroll with a name - in a cursive script that cannot be made out - on his right shoulder.
Police said there were no tattoos visible on Mr Cowan's legs or elsewhere.

Several witnesses have testified they saw arm tattoos while others have suggested they saw leg tattoos that could also have been dirty marks on a man under the Kiel Mountain Road overpass where Daniel was last seen on December 7, 2003.

Many of those same witnesses described seeing a man with his leg bent up against the embankment behind a boy in a red t-shirt.

"If he's leaning against a wall relaxed he would have one leg up," she said.

"If it's just a general stance with one leg, he's like a stork."

Ms Moncrieff, 38, said she met Mr Cowan in 1998 when they were both attending the Christian Outreach Centre at Woombye.

"(We met) at his uncle and auntie's place Keith and Jenny Phillbrook," she said.

"I had just started attending there. Every week. On Sundays."

The 38-year-old said they started seeing each romantically that year and then got married in September, 1999.

They separated in June, 2004, with the divorce finalised in 2008.

Ms Moncreiff said they only moved in together after they got married and they used to go to church together each Sunday but by 2003, Mr Cowan was no longer attending services.

One of Brett Peter Cowan's tattoos, as submitted to the court.
One of Brett Peter Cowan's tattoos, as submitted to the court.

She said she returned home about 11.30am, settled her six-month-old son and made lunch for herself and Mr Cowan.

Ms Moncreiff said Mr Cowan left about 1pm to get equipment from Frank Davis at Nambour and she heard him using the mulcher in the garden about 2.40pm to 3pm.

"I assume it was shaved in December, or close to that, and then he was growing it again," she said.

Ms Moncreiff said it was usually a few months between cuts and the hair would grow to about shoulder length - straight and brown.

She said she believed he had a thin goatee in December, 2003, and never had a full beard, noting he couldn't grow hair on his cheeks.

Mr Cowan had two earrings - one hoop and one stud, she said, and a 6-7cm scar on one of his from a childhood injury.

Cowan took me to Daniel site, girlfriend tells court

Barilaro: I don't regret threatening to split Coalition

Premium Content Barilaro: I don't regret threatening to split Coalition

Transport Minister slams Nationals leader as ‘politically reckless’

BYPASS WIN: No more trucks ‘bellowing’ through town

Premium Content BYPASS WIN: No more trucks ‘bellowing’ through town

Three villages are no longer on the Pacific Highway

Train tunnel vision won’t stop rail trail going full steam

Premium Content Train tunnel vision won’t stop rail trail going full steam

It's been 16 years since the last commuter train left the station