$1000 was the cost of boiling an egg for Queensland woman

A WOMAN boiling an egg in a retirement lodge must pay a $1000 bill for a fire service callout when the alarm sounded.

Fay Monica Christina Nielsen was preparing an egg salad in her kitchenette at the Runaway Bay Village about 4pm on May 30, 2012, when the fire alarm was activated.

TriCare staff told the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal that they found smoke emanating from her unit into the passageway when they arrived and saw her trying to dissipate cooking fumes and smoke

Mrs Nielsen said she was unable to explain how boiling an egg had led to the fire alarm going off.

"Mrs Nielsen claims that she has boiled eggs the same way for the last 60 years," QCAT member Graham Quinlivan said in a judgment published this week.

Mrs Nielsen sought relief from paying the $1,020.31 bill for an unwanted fire alarm activation but, after weighing up all the evidence, Mr Quinlivan dismissed the application.


Rising music star juggles fame, fatherhood and married life

Premium Content Rising music star juggles fame, fatherhood and married life

JK-47 has recently released his debut album to great success, but he’s also...

Man charged with fire at cathedral, armed robbery, assault

Premium Content Man charged with fire at cathedral, armed robbery, assault

AFTER an extraordinary week of alleged offences, the man was apprehended in...

Businesses lose $10K every week, many ‘will not make it’

Premium Content Businesses lose $10K every week, many ‘will not make it’

An industry leader says many businesses face shutting their doors