TOOWOOMBA aged care worker Carryn Ter Horst thinks the comments women who walk alone at night invite attacks from predators are rubbish.
However, she said it was necessary for women - and men - to remain vigilant.
The Mayor of Albury, Kevin Mack, sparked public outrage when he commented on the alleged rape of a 17-year-old girl by three men.
It is alleged that the girl was walking home from work on Tuesday night when she was dragged into bushes and sexually assaulted at knifepoint.
"I always have encouraged women not to walk alone, to have someone with them at all times, because that in itself is an invitation for someone to take advantage of you," Cr Mack said.
He has since issued a public apology for what many have described as "victim-blaming comments".
Ms Ter Horst said she was aware of the dangers of her 15-minute walk home from her work in North Toowoomba but felt she had no choice.
"I don't earn enough to cover the cost of taxi fares when I finish work after dark and there aren't any bus services at that time. My choice is risk it or refuse to work.
"I shouldn't feel threatened walking alone at night, but I do feel nervous. I have a 16-year-old daughter and she doesn't go walking on her own once it's dark."
What do you think?
- Rachel Conway: It's sad that the message has become "don't walk alone" rather than "don't assault people." Just a thought.
- Darryl Barlow: It's become a sad world we live in where women and children can't walk alone with being assaulted or abducted. Sad world indeed.
- Sharon Sheridan: Women should have the right to walk where ever alone with out the fear of begin attacked.
- Tracey Lange: Sure, we SHOULD be able to walk around safely but the reality is we can't and we therefore need to be careful and plan as best we can. It isn't fair but that's how it is.
- Justin Gorringe: It was poorly worded but decent advice. We live in a world where horrible things happen sometimes. We take precautions to minimize them happening to us all the time.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.