Butcher stunned at being named Ballina Business of the Year
"I AM stunned. All I do is keep going to work and serving my customers."
That was the response from Troy Daley, of Daley's Gourmet Meats, when he won the Business of the Year category at the Ballina Coast and Hinterland Northern Star Business Excellence Awards on Saturday night.
Mr Daley has been a butcher for 22 years and would not have it any other way.
"I am a born and bred Ballina boy," he said.
"We pride ourselves on personal service and we love what we do."
Daley's Gourmet Meats is located in the Wigmore Arcade in Ballina's CBD, and while the current refurbishment works at the venue are posing some challenges for shoppers and business owners, Mr Daley said it would be worth it.
"The council is doing a great job," he said.
"Wigmore Arcade is going to be the place to be. It will be great."
It wasn't just award winners that were congratulated on Saturday night. Keynote speaker and NSW Business Chamber chief executive Stephen Cartwright said it was a success for any small business to survive another year.
"Things are pretty tough," he said.
"So congratulations to everyone who gets through.
"The importance of small business needs to be front and centre. We need a strong and vibrant small business sector."
A total of 16 awards, with trophies handcrafted by local artist David Mackay Harrison, were presented during the ceremony at the Ballina RSL Club.
Mr Mackay Harrison was surprised to hear his own name read out when he won the Home Based or Online Business category, meaning he could keep one of his coveted awards for himself this year.
"I never thought it would be so much fun to actually win one of these things," he said. "We opened in 1978 and this is the first award I've ever won."
- Best new business: Seed & Husk
- Customer service: Sasha's Fine Foods
- Retail Outlet: Sublime Clothing
- Hospitality and Dining: Harvest Cafe
- Tourism and Visitor Experience: Summerland House Farm
- Hair, Beauty and Fitness: Tonic Hair Body and Beauty
- Excellence in Innovation: Mark Bullivant Independent Coffee Professional
- Professional Services: Collins Hume
- Health and Aged Care: Crowley Care Services
- Trade and Manufacturing: McGeary Brothers Engineering
- Home Based or Online Business: David Mackay Harrison
- Workplace Safety: All Pest Solutions
- Sustainable Business: Coaster Kings
- Community and Social Services Award: Ballina Shire Meals on Wheels
- People's Choice: Evolution Cafe and Wine Bar
- Business of the Year: Daley's Gourmet Meats