Brawl at junior football final

BRAWLERS: Under 15s grand final forces umpire to flee

AN umpire has been attacked by spectators in a wild brawl at a junior football grand final in Hoppers Crossing.

Police say the brawl erupted at the under 15s match at Hoppers Crossing Sports Club on Hogans Rd about 4.30pm yesterday.

The umpire was reportedly attacked after two consecutive 50-metre penalties were paid to Point Cook late in their game against Albion.

Point Cook then goaled and won the premiership.


Another image of the aftermath of the brawl. Courtesy: 3AW
Another image of the aftermath of the brawl. Courtesy: 3AW

Witnesses have said the umpire was attacked in the immediate aftermath of the match.

"We saw that umpire run for his life," one man told 3AW.

"I would have hate to see what happened if that umpire fell."

Point Cook club president Ivo Havard described the scene as "out of control" and "adults behaving badly".

"I know a lot of people at Albion and they've been a good club for a long time but obviously they've got an element there with some people that shouldn't be there," Mr Havard told 3AW.

Another witness claimed a person chased and assaulted the umpire and then proceeded to assault others, who were trying to intervene and break up the fight.


Another image of the aftermath of the brawl. Courtesy: 3AW
Another image of the aftermath of the brawl. Courtesy: 3AW

A father watching his son play said Point Cook club members were locked in their change rooms as a safety measure after the game and as police arrived.

"I didn't see the incident with the umpire, however Point Cook players, coaches, helps and family members were put into lockdown by the managers, and police I think, in our change rooms," he said.

"The presentation of medals and the cup was cancelled and took place in the change rooms.

"We were given the all clear to leave the rooms and the ground about 40 minutes after the end of the game."

The Point Cook father claimed two of the instigators had been seen drinking throughout the day.

"I will say their coach (Albion) did come in and congratulate our coach, I thought that was excellent," he said.

"It was a bit scary not knowing if we could leave because people were waiting out the front for us. You don't want to go through that to get out of a footy match."

The winning Point Cook team. Picture: Facebook
The winning Point Cook team. Picture: Facebook

Albion club president Gavan Taylor referred the incident to the Western Region Football League. "The league has asked me not to say anything and I'm not going to go into it in detail," he said.

"What happened after the game is totally unacceptable and the Western Region Football League will deal with it."

The Western Region Football League has been contacted for comment.

A man in his 30s sustained injuries to his upper body and was assessed by paramedics at the scene but not transported to hospital, an Ambulance Victoria spokesman said.

Police are investigating and have urged witnesses or anyone with video footage of the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 00 or submit a confidential crime report at

News Corp Australia

A profitable partnership

A profitable partnership

East Ballina Lions and Ballina Fair partner to support farmers

Keeping the heart beating

Keeping the heart beating

Bike ride to raise AED awareness

Skatefest going ahead

Skatefest going ahead

Fair Go Skatefest to run again this year

Local Partners