Big plans for Oz Grom Open at Lennox
A NEW division with $4000 prizemoney is in the works for the second annual Skullcandy Oz Grom Open at Lennox Head.
After the success of the inaugural event last year, organisers are hopeful of running an invitational Under-20 division.
It would feature the top 16 surfers outside the top 100 plus a local entry.
There are also Under-16 boys and girls divisions, Under-14 boys and Under-12 boys.
The event is set down for July 4 to 9.
"Entries in the Under-12s are at capacity and everything else is about 60% full," event organiser Steve Condon said.
"Most of last year's finalists have confirmed they'll be back too.
"Entries only opened Sunday and I'm sure we'll get a solid international field with guys from the United States, South Africa, Japan and Tahiti."
The Skullcandy Oz Grom Open came to Lennox Head last year when, after 16 years, Rusty decided not to run Gromfest.
Skullcandy came on board with a three-year commitment to the new event.
The Rusty Gromfest had been a stepping stone for surfers to go on to the World Championship Tour and Lennox-Ballina Boardriders were keen for that to continue.
They will again host the event and look to get local businesses involved.
"It attracts visitors from all over Australia and gives local kids another competition," Le-Ba president Johnny Hewett said.
"It was a unique event last year and we did things that have never been done before. We had repechage rounds so everyone got to surf at least twice and we had some really great feedback."