Little Beth in world of pain but still living to the fullest
BETH Cooper-Wares has broken at least 35 bones in her short 11 years.
Far from being reckless and clumsy, Beth is one of a handful of Australians with osteogenesis imperfect type three.
It's a severe brittle bone disorder that has resulted in countless hospital visits, operations, full body casts and a world of pain.
Despite her fragility, Beth is determined to live life to the fullest by embarking on a round-the-world adventure, ticking off each of the 101 items on her bucket list as she goes.
She plans to regularly send back postcards to the doctors and nurses at the Lismore Base Hospital which became her "second family" growing up on the Northern Rivers.
Beth's mum Katie Cooper-Wares said the idea to go on a globe-trotting journey with her daughter grew out of a concern for what the coming teenage years might have in store.
"Your teenage years are when you start comparing yourself… and when you have obvious physical differences it can make it a lot harder," she said.
"I started thinking about what else I could do to give Beth a bit of a boost in self-esteem and pride in who she is.
"I woke up one morning and thought travel, that's the experience I could give her.
"And then I talked to her and said do you want to sell everything and travel around the world and she said yeah, ok."
Beth said a big part of the adventure was 'paying forward' the generosity of everybody who helped make it happen by doing a similar act of kindness or goodwill.
"My mum always taught me that it's far more fun to give than to receive," Beth said.
This could be anything from helping someone with the garden to giving a free performance on the flute.
Beth and Katie will fly to London on June 2 for the first leg of their journey.
The pair has been sponsored by Nomador, a website that connects house sitters and home owners around the world, which will help them find accommodation overseas.
They've also managed to secure travel insurance, which has been a huge relief.
BETH'S BUCKET LIST
- Watch the sunrise at Stonehenge in England
- Cycle through the Loire valley in France
- Learn how to make chocolate in Belgium
- Try 13 new flavours of gelato in Italy
- Watch a flamenco dancer in Spain
- Visit the Anne Frank Museum in the Netherlands
- Visit the Rugen Cliffs in Germany
- Get a Henna tattoo in India
- Cruise down the Nile River in Egypt
- Float in the Dead Sea in Jordan
- Watch sumo wrestling in Japan
- See the Great Wall of China
- See wild elephants in Africa
- Kayak with killer whales of Vancouver
- Busk on the New York subway
- Be in Mexico for the Day of the Dead
- Snorkel Micronesia