Beirut rocket strikes confirm need for action in Syria: Carr

Foreign Minister Bob Carr
Foreign Minister Bob Carr

FOREIGN Minister Bob Carr has condemned two rocket strikes in Beirut which injured five people on Sunday.

After returning from talks in Beirut last week, Senator Carr said the attacks showed the risks of Syria's conflict spreading throughout the region.

He said there had already been incidents along the Syrian border with Turkey and Jordan, and the Beirut attacks reinforced the need for action in Syria.

"No one has claimed responsibility for these latest attacks but evidence suggests they follow Hezbollah's public endorsement of the Assad regime," he said.

"The strikes reinforce the need for unified international action to deliver a Syrian ceasefire and help bring this crippling internal conflict to a close."

Estimates show more than 80,000 people have been killed and up to 1.5 million forced to flee as refugees since the Syrian conflict began two years ago.

The United Nations estimates up to 9 million Syrians will be displaced and 3.6 million risk becoming refugees by years end.

As part of the international effort, Australia has provided more than $78 million for food, shelter and medical aid to Syrian refugees.


‘Giant dildo’ gobsmacks irate Aussies

‘Giant dildo’ gobsmacks irate Aussies

A massive penis-like sculpture is being taken apart.

Horror start to holidays on highway

Horror start to holidays on highway

Two early morning crashes signals horror start to busy summer period

Interlock drink driving laws expanded

Interlock drink driving laws expanded

The laws were expanded earlier this month.