Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.
Two fires at the Ballina tip were sparked by batteries being put in domestic bins.

Batteries thrown in bin spark tip fire

RESIDENTS have been urged not to throw batteries in the bin after two fires broke out at the Ballina tip earlier in the month.

Ballina Shire Council said on September 16, "two fires broke out at the Waste Management Centre caused by batteries in kerbside bins".

The council said to drop off household batteries to the Community Recycling Centre, at the Waste Management Centre (167 Southern Cross Drive) or at one of the Community Recycling Stations at the Ballina Council Customer Service Centre, Alstonville Cultural Centre, Ballina Library and Lennox Cultural Centre.

Battery recycling centres are also located at some supermarkets and Battery World stores.

"Please DO NOT put batteries in your waste or recycling kerbside bins. Battery fires can be dangerous and can cause serious damage and large scale air pollution."


HOME AND HOSED: 20 new firefighters for our region

Premium Content HOME AND HOSED: 20 new firefighters for our region

Find out if your town or suburb is set to get a new firefighter in your station

FIVE new tracks from Northern Rivers’ musos you need to hear

Premium Content FIVE new tracks from Northern Rivers’ musos you need to hear

Check out five of the best and newest singles from Northern Rivers musicians this...

War rifle, game console stolen during alleged crime spree

Premium Content War rifle, game console stolen during alleged crime spree

Evans Head man charged over the thefts has faced court