Ballina man first fatality at CSA’s Cobar copper mine

INVESTIGATIONS are ongoing into the death of a Ballina man in an accident at a mine at Cobar in central western NSW on the weekend.

Detective Inspector Luke Rankin from the Darling River local area command identified the man yesterday as 41-year-old Jeremy Junk.

Det Insp Rankin said the accident happened about 4.30am Saturday as Mr Junk was working in a kibble (a large bucket used to lift items or people in mines) approximately 1km underground at the CSA copper mine near Cobar.

Mr Junk sustained severe head injuries when his head collided with a platform, Det Insp Rankin said.

After being treated at the scene by an emergency response team and paramedics, Det Insp Rankin said Mr Junk was taken by ambulance to Cobar hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Cobar Weekly managing editor Sharon Harland said Mr Junk was employed as a contractor and police told the ABC yesterday the man had been working at the mine for about 18 months.

Police told the ABC the mine was generally "big on safety" and it appeared the death was the result of an unforeseeable accident.

Ms Harland said there had been no serious accidents before Mr Junk's death in the mine, which runs 24 hours a day, seven days a week and employs more than 300 people.

The Department of Trade and Investment said the situation is under investigation.


Harsh new road rule you need to know

Harsh new road rule you need to know

NSW the strictest state in the country for this offence

Organisations share in $350,000 worth of grants

Organisations share in $350,000 worth of grants

Organisations share in $350k grant

Hidden treasures uncovered

Hidden treasures uncovered

Ballina visitors love the museum

Local Partners