Andrew Bolt: No, Trump has not banned Dastyari
More fake news about Donald Trump's new travel bans: Iranian-born Senator Sam Dastyari and Somali-born athlete Sir Mo Farrah claim the bans on travellers from seven mainly-Muslim countries could affect them, too.
False again, although the Trump administration's chaotic messaging of the changes have helped such scares go viral.
The background: Trump has temporarily banned travellers from seven mainly Muslim countries while authorities review how to better check visa applicants. Those bans affect also people with dual nationality.
Iranian-born NSW Senator, Sam Dastyari, fears he and members of his family may be among those caught up by the Trump administration's freeze on visitors from seven Muslim nations, as confusion reigns around the world in the wake of the US order.
Senator Dastyari, who migrated to Australia at the age of five with his parents and older sister Azadeh, told Fairfax there was shock and sadness throughout the Iranian-Australian community at President Donald Trump's executive order, which slaps a temporary ban on Muslim migration and a 90 day halt on entry for people from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Somalia.
But Dastyari cannot have dual Australian and Iranian nationality. No Australian may be elected to our Parliament if they also hold foreign nationality, and Dastyari admits he renounced his:
Senator Dastyari said he had taken steps to divest himself of Iranian citizenship prior to his entering parliament...
So that's fake news.
Britons affected by the ban include the nation's highest decorated Olympian, Sir Mo Farrar.
More from the Daily Mail:
The President signed an executive order on Friday which prevents any citizen of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US for 90 days.
One of those countries is Somalia, the birthplace of Britain's most successful athlete who won double Olympic gold medals in 2012 and 2016.
The long-distance runner, who is currently training in Ethiopia, lives with his family in Oregon.
He wrote on Facebook he had been 'made a knight by the Queen' but 'made an alien' by Trump.
In fact, Mo Farrah is not a dual Somali national and is not affected:
After yesterday's news that Donald Trump's executive order on immigration would seem to block four-time Olympic gold medalist Mo Farah from entering the United States, we received an email from Farah's representatives.The email read in part:"...the situation at this stage is still unclear. Mo is a British citizen with a British passport and does NOT have dual nationality or hold a Somalian passport...."
This claim in news.com.au also seems to be false:
Under the order, Australians who are also citizens of one of the banned countries won't be able to enter the US.
The Iranian-born BBC reporter who was stopped at immigration today upon arriving at a US airport today, Ali Hamedani, has been allowed to enter - but had his phone and computer searched.
Trudeau's National Security Adviser Daniel Jean and other officials reached out to their American counterparts, including Trump's National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, for answers, Trudeau's spokeswoman Kate Purchase said late Saturday.
"NSA Flynn confirmed that holders of Canadian passports, including dual citizens, will not be affected by the ban," Purchase said.
Dual nationals holding and traveling with a valid passport issued by a State other than one of the above-mentioned will be allowed entry provided meeting all criteria based upon the passenger's nationality.
But this time the confusion is not caused by "fake news" but by disastrously poor communication from the Trump administration, which initially said the opposite:
"Travellers who have nationality or dual nationality of one of these countries will not be permitted for 90 days to enter the United States or be issued an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa," the State department said in a statement to the Wall Street Journal.
"Those nationals or dual nationals holding valid immigrant or nonimmigrant visas will not be permitted to enter the United States during this period."
It seems the ban applies to dual nationals travelling on a passport issued by one of the seven affected countries. If they travel on the passport of their other nationality they should be fine.
However, a statement released by the British Foreign Office details:
THE Presidential executive order only applies to individuals travelling from one of the seven named countries.
IF you are travelling to the US from anywhere other than one of those countries (for instance, the UK) the executive order does not apply to you and you will experience no extra checks regardless of your nationality or your place of birth.
IF you are a UK national who happens to be travelling from one of those countries to the US, then the order does not apply to you - even if you were born in one of those countries.
IF you are a dual citizen of one of those countries travelling to the US from OUTSIDE those countries then the order does not apply to you.
THE only dual nationals who might have extra checks are those coming from one of the seven countries themselves - for example a UK-Libya dual national coming from Libya to the US.