FORMER Alstonville cricketer Georgia Redmayne has been included in the NSW Breakers women's squad for the 2014-15 season.
Redmayne, a wicketkeeper-batter, joins other North Coast players Kara Sutherland (Grafton) and Angela Reakes (Bangalow) in the squad of 18.
The Breakers will be aiming for their 10th consecutive Women's National Cricket League (WNCL) 50-over title while also trying to reclaim the Twenty20 trophy.
In 2012-13 the Breakers became the first and only team to win the WNCL and WT20 in the same season.
Some other great moments for Northern Rivers women in sport this week
- Old Bonalbo's Ros Lawrence wins bronze at the ICF Canoe slalom World Cup in Spain.
- Lennox surfer Tyler Wright wins the Vans US Open of Surfing.
- Lismore boxer Shelley Watts wins a Commonwealth Games gold medal.
Central to the team's success has been NSW's ability to develop some of the best junior talent in the country into world-class cricketers, with Southern Stars Ellyse Perry, Alyssa Healy, Erin Osborne and Sarah Coyte heading the line-up.
Selectors have also included NSW Under-15 captain Lauren Cheatle, NSW Under-18 captain Ashleigh Gardner and another NSW Under-18 star Lauren Smith in the senior squad for this summer.
Head coach Joanne Broadbent said the younger players would help build the team's dynasty in years to come.
"While our focus this summer is on winning a 10th WNCL title and the WT20, we also have one eye on the future," Broadbent said.
"Lauren Cheatle, Lauren Smith, Ashleigh Gardner, Georgia Redmayne and Emily Leys are all tremendous young players and their development will benefit greatly from training alongside experienced Australian representatives.
"They add extra depth to our squad and I expect them to play a role in the Breakers' success in coming seasons."
The Breakers will begin their WNCL title defence in October.
The squad is:
- Alex Blackwell (captain - Universities / Riverina)
- Rachael Haynes (vice-captain - Universities), Sarah Aley (Bankstown Sports)
- Nicola Carey (St George-Sutherland)
- Lauren Cheatle (Campbelltown-Camden / Illawarra-Southern)
- Sarah Coyte (Campbelltown-Camden)
- Stefanie Daffara (Campbelltown-Camden / Illawarra-Southern)
- Ashleigh Gardner (Bankstown Sports)
- Alyssa Healy (Sydney)
- Emily Leys (Gordon / Western)
- Erin Osborne (Sydney / Central Northern)
- Ellyse Perry (Sydney)
- Leah Poulton (St George-Sutherland / Newcastle)
- Angela Reakes (Sydney / North Coastal)
- Georgia Redmayne (Universities / North Coastal)
- Lauren Smith (Northern District / Central Coast)
- Naomi Stalenberg (Campbelltown-Camden)
- Kara Sutherland (Universities / North Coastal).
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.