Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.


‘The Dunoon dam belongs in the last century’

Premium Content ‘The Dunoon dam belongs in the last century’

Action group wants to change Rous' direction on its water strategy

Region’s monsoonal weather conditions set to continue

Premium Content Region’s monsoonal weather conditions set to continue

There could be further tallies to rain recorded across the region in the last 24...

Casino woman killed in mystery highway incident

Premium Content Casino woman killed in mystery highway incident

The woman was found 4kms from a "dangerously" parked car on the M1