THIRTY-nine regional Queensland events will share $1.5 million in new funding under the latest round of Tourism and Events Queensland's Regional Development Program (RDP).
Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games Jann Stuckey said the latest funding round supported Queensland events ranging from sporting to cultural and historical celebrations, music festivals, and food and wine events.
All the events to receive RDP funding will be held between 1 October 2013 and 31 March 2015.
"The Queensland Government recognises that tourism and events are intrinsically linked and events help to draw visitors to regional areas, providing social and economic benefits for the host communities," Ms Stuckey said.
"Supporting tourism and events in Queensland will help take us a step closer to reaching our goal of doubling annual overnight visitor expenditure from $15 billion to $30 billion by 2020.
"Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ) has created the most comprehensive portfolio of supported events of any state in Australia, with the RDP having now invested more than $22 million across 1015 events since 2001."
Ms Stuckey said the latest round of funding had been allocated to event organisers based on the event plans they had put forward.
"The funding can be used for marketing activities to increase awareness of the event and destination through strategic planning, engagement of short-term personnel and hire of temporary infrastructure," she said.
Ms Stuckey said strong support from regional stakeholders, including local MPs and regional tourism organisations, was vital to the ongoing success of the program.
"Regional events are delivered in partnership with local communities and that combined effort is vital to their success, which is why it's great to see such a collaborative approach taken in the successful applications.
"This program, with the support of stakeholders, helps to deliver tourism benefits and promote Queensland's regional destinations to a wider audience."
The next RDP funding round is now open with applications closing on 9 August 2013 for events held between 1 April 2014 and 30 September 2015.
Events supported under Round 24 of the RDP:
- Queensland Open Golf Championship, Springfield Lakes - held 19-25 August 2013 - $20,000
- Noosa Jazz Festival, Noosa - held 29 August-4 September 2013 - $50,000
- Gold Coast Festival of Cycling, Emerald Lakes - held 28-29 September 2013 - $10,000
- Caloundra Music Festival, Caloundra - held 4-7 October 2013 - $180,000 over 3 years
- River 2 Reef Ride, Mackay - held 5 October 2013 - $10,000
- ahm Wave Warriors Junior Challenge 2013, Coolangatta - held 5-6 October 2013 - $15,000
- Gold Coast Renaissance Fair, Broadbeach - held 5-7 October 2013 - $15,000
- Angel Flight Outback Trailblazer, Barcaldine - held 6-12 October 2013 - $25,000
- Mission Evolve Music Festival, Mission Beach - held 12-14 October 2013 - $12,000
- Tastes of the Tablelands, Atherton - held 20 October 2013 - $15,000
- Mitsubishi World Masters Golf Championships, Broadbeach - held 20-26 October 2013 - $15,000
- Lake Moondarra Fishing Classic, Mount Isa - held 25-27 October 2013 - $27,000
- Lockyer 300, Mulgowie - held 26-27 October 2013 - $15,000
- Great Barrier Reef Marathon Festival, Port Douglas - held 2-3 November 2013 - $20,000
- Australian Stand Up & Paddleboard Festival, Currumbin - held 8-11 November 2013 - $10,000
- Australian Formula Powerboat Grand Prix, Bundaberg - held 9-10 November 2013 - $10,000
- Kirra Kite Festival, Kirra Beach - held 12-17 November 2013 - $10,000
- PBR Troy Dunn Invitational, Townsville - held 15-17 November 2013 - $140,000 over 3 years
- Tour de Tamborine, Tamborine - held 29 November-1 December 2013 - $10,000
- Cairns Chinese New Year, Cairns - held 28 January-15 February 2014 - $40,000 over 2 years
- Goondiwindi Hell of the West, Goondiwindi - held 2 February 2014 - $10,000
- Breaka Burleigh Pro, Burleigh Heads - held 2-9 February 2014 - $50,000
- Bleach Festival , Currumbin - held 21 February-9 March 2014 - $180,000 over 3 years
- Have a Go Festival, Toowoomba - held 22-23 February 2014 - $10,000
- Surfers Paradise Festival, Surfers Paradise - held 1 March-1 April 2014 - $50,000
- Gold Coast Bodyboarding Expo, Gold Coast - held 1 March-1 April 2014 - $20,000
- Stanthorpe Apple & Grape Harvest Festival, Stanthorpe - held 7-9 March 2014 - $80,000 over 2 years
- Fraser Coast Cultural Festival, Pialba - held 21-23 March 2014 - $10,000
- Gold Coast Film Festival, Broadbeach - held 3-13 April 2014 - $30,000
- Easter in the Country, Roma - held 16-21 April 2014 - $20,000
- Queensland Ocean Swim Series, Mooloolaba, Caloundra, Coolangatta, Tangalooma - held 16-21 April 2014 - $10,000
- Julia Creek Dirt n Dust Festival, Julia Creek - held 18-20 April 2014 - $300,000 over 3 years
- Australian Hand Cane-Cutting Championships, Burdekin - held 3 May 2014 - $6,250
- Captain Cook 1770 Festival and Art Show, 1770 - held 19-27 May 2014 - $10,000
- Townsville Cultural Fest, Townsville - held 13-17 August 2014 - $15,000
- Mackay Beach Horse Racing Festival, Mackay - held 14-17 August 2014 - $55,000
- Gourmet in Gundy, Goondiwindi - held 13-14 September 2014 - $10,000
- Cardiac Challenge, Cairns to Cooktown - held 20-22 September 2014 - $10,000
- Troy Bayliss Triple Crown, Cairns - held 14 December 2014 - $20,000
Discover more great events at www.tourismeventsqueensland.com
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.