BACK in the day, before the internet, people used a variety of methods to predict if rain was going to come along and fill their tanks, water their crops or ruin a picnic.
These days all we have to do is look at our mobile phones, laptop or open up the daily newspaper to check out the weather report, but there's lots of other methods - some more reliable than others.
But what if your phone battery dies or there's a power cut and your internet connection goes down?
Luckily for you, the Northern Star has down the hard work so you can predict if rain is on the way.
10 way to predict rainy weather
1. Go outside - If you get wet and it's not the garden sprinkler, then yes, it could be raining.
2. Arthritis - pain in the joints is often attributed to low air pressure which occurs before rain.
3. Ants - These critters reportedly build steeper sides on their homes, head inside the nearest building or even take to the skies when rain is on the way.
4. Birds - According to those in the know, black cockatoos squawk and the number of them flying low indicates how many days of rain are ahead.
5. Breathe - If you go outside before a storm and take a deep breath, you should be able to feel the moisture in your nostrils.
6. Clouds - Aircraft pilots reckon cirrus clouds (aka mare's tails) indicate a warm front which produces low pressure. If you've ever been in a light aircraft during a storm, you know why they head for home when they see a storm front approaching.
7. Fitzroy glass - Named after Admiral Fitzroy who commanded the HMS Beagle carrying Charles Darwin, this handy weather barometer (aka storm glass) contained several potent chemicals including potassium nitrate, ammonium chloride, distilled water, ethanol and camphor. When the liquid in the glass was cloudy with small stars it indicated thunderstorms.
8. Hair - If your hair feels frizzy rather than it's usual smooth and silky style, this may be caused by low humidity which occurs before those rain clouds move into action.
9. Moon - If there is a ring or a halo around the moon, moonlight is shining through those cirrus clouds.
10. Smoke - Out camping and the weather and regulations permits a campfire? If rain is on the way then the low pressure should keep the smoke low and swirly rather than a steady rise when the weather is clear. Time to head for the tent.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.