10 ways to achieve your career goals
IT'S crucial to have career goals if you plan on landing your dream job one day.
Career coach Kerina Alter, of career management services consultancy Altered Career, shares her top tips for achieving your ambitions:
1. Start planning your goals early.
2. Dream big without evaluating or talking yourself out of it. "It's okay to be ambitious. Imagine what you can achieve," Ms Alter said.
3. Once you have come up with some ideas, still dream big but break it down into actionable steps so it doesn't become overwhelming.
4. Identify your motivation by asking: 'Why is it important to achieve? and 'Why is it important to achieve now?'
5. Write it down and tell people about your goals. "The more you speak about them, the more 'real' they become and the more committed you become to achieving them," she said.
6. Put in calendar reminders around your goals or actions.
7. Setbacks happen so don't be too hard on yourself. Remember you might have to be flexible as your circumstances change and it's not a reason to give up.
8. Be open to changing and adjusting your goals. "Enjoy the journey not just the destination when career planning," she said.
9. Risk plan. Think about how you can best set yourself up for success and do research to know what has worked for others.
10. Reward yourself. Pre-plan a reward for when you achieve your goal, however small. Rewards act as motivators.