TRADITIONAL print books are still a favourite among book lovers, despite the emergence of new technologies and electronic books.
Hard copy books remained overwhelmingly popular, with digital books accounting for just a small percentage of sales, said Steve Cox of Dymocks.
Mr Cox said he believed printed books remained top sellers because readers enjoyed the perks that could only come from the hard copy format.
"They can flick through the pages, take the book to the beach, browse shelves and smell the pages," he said.
Research shows an overwhelming majority of customers also enjoy the experience of browsing bookstores and physically buying a book, Mr Cox said.
Author and avid reader Anna Campbell said she was a huge fan of traditional print books. The historical romance author said while her novels were published in both print and digital versions, she didn't own an eReader.
"I like the physical side of books, I like having them around the house ... I just love opening a new book, and they are relaxing to look at and read," she said.
But as more content is published digitally, Ms Campbell said she might be forced to buy an eReader.
"I think in the long run I will have to," Ms Campbell said. "But I'd be very surprised if print books go away."
While traditional books are still popular, a growing range of digital books are stocked at most book retailers as customers embrace the benefits of digital books.
Electronic books are often seen as convenient and practical, offering readers a number of advantages including:
- Immediacy - books in digital format can be downloaded and read instantly;
- Storage - an eReader are capable of storing thousands of books on the one device;
- Price - digital books usually cost less than the printed version.
Dymocks Best sellers
1. Hunger Games, (Bk1 Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins
2. Lone Wolf, by Jodi Picoult
3. Catching Fire, (Bk2 Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins
4. House on Willow Street, by Cathy Kelly
5. Mockingjay, (Bk3 Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins
6. End of the World Skulduggery Pleasant, by Derek Landy
7. Maggie's Verjuice Cookbook, by Maggie Beer
8. 11th Hour, by James Patterson
9. Religion for Atheists, by Alain de Botton
10. Australian Moment, by George Megalogenis
A unique opportunity exists to build an architecturally designed home in the prestigious and highly popular Oasis Resort. Elevated and secluded, this 302m2 block...
Nestled in a wonderful beachside neighbourhood this delightful home brings together the rare combination of quality and lifestyle. * 3 light filled oversized...
"Taronga" is an elevated property capturing expansive rural and ocean views. Situated in a tightly held location surrounded by large rural holding, this home is...
- 141 ACRES OF GRAZING LAND ON 2 SEPARATE TITLES - EACH WITH A BUILDING ENTITLEMENT * One Lot being 85.50 acres (LOT 4) & the other being 56.09 acres...
This has to be one of the last remaining elevated blocks with potential for re-development, or sub-division in the centre of Byron Bay. The family of this...
OPEN HOUSE SATURDAY 8 AUGUST 11.00 - 11.45AM Perfectly positioned between Bangalow & Clunes, off a private driveway & away from the main road, is one of the...
Located in a highly desirable area of Byron Bay, this well built modern home is perfectly suited to spacious living and will be attractive to both families and...
Set high on the hill in Paterson Street this large and solid brick home enjoys ocean views from Broken Head through the Lighthouse and back towards central Byron...
Quality vacant land is fast becoming scarce. Just listed is this ideal building block located in a central Ocean Shores position which is within easy access to...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.