News

Raft of options for piece of sailing history

PRESERVE THE RAFT: Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum volunteers Robert Jones and John Colville with the Las Balsas raft on display in the museum. Photo Graham Broadhead / Ballina Shire Advocate
PRESERVE THE RAFT: Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum volunteers Robert Jones and John Colville with the Las Balsas raft on display in the museum. Photo Graham Broadhead / Ballina Shire Advocate Graham Broadhead

RON Creber has no doubt the raft from the 1973 Las Balsas expedition needs to be preserved because it is part of Ballina's history.

He is the curator of the Ballina Naval and Maritime Museum, where the raft is prominently on display.

He was reacting to a decision by Ballina Shire Council last week to visit the museum and hold a workshop following a report presented to the councillors.

In that report - primarily about the preservation of two council-owned vessels in the museum, the historic river boat MV Florrie and the former pilot vessel PV Richmond - staff presented an option to remove the raft from the museum.

The raft is a combination of two of the three balsa wood rafts which, crewed by 12 men of various nationalities, sailed with the prevailing winds and currents from Ecuador across the Pacific Ocean and arrived in Ballina in November 1973.

Two of the rafts were towed into Ballina by the Royal Australian Navy vessel HMAS Labuan and a local trawler. The third raft, which was in poor condition, was set adrift and ended up on a beach north of Newcastle.

Staff reported to council that the raft, "gifted to the people of Ballina" by the crew, didn't meet any of the seven criteria under the NSW Assessing Significance guidelines, so "the raft is not considered to have significant heritage values".

It was also reported that the roof of the council-owned museum needed to be replaced - at an estimated cost of $200,000 - and the tall mast of the raft added to the expense because of the high roof.

One of the options given to councillors was "de-accession" or removal of the raft to reduce the re-roofing costs of the museum, and allow the Richmond to be moved inside. Another option is to keep the raft as a "curiosity".

Mr Creber said the raft had been very much undersold as a tourist attraction in Ballina.

He also said it was a former council decision to build the high roof at the museum to allow the mast of the raft to stand upright.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'Aggressive' great white shark knocks man off board

A 2.28m Great White is tagged by the Department of Primary Industries at Coffs Harbour on Tuesday.

"It went under his SUP towards our son, then circled around."

Police: Have you seen Jak?

Have you seen Jak McLean?

Police are seeking assistance from the public to locate Jak McLean

Why the shark barrier at Lighthouse Beach has stalled

Lighthouse Beach at Ballina closed after a shark attack.
Photo Cathy Adams / The Northern Star

Work on the controversial shark barrier has halted - here's why

Latest deals and offers

Shark barrier construction begins on North Coast beach

A HELICOPTER is hovering over a North Coast beach dropping concrete blocks and steel anchors into the surf as part of the construction of the new shark barrier.

'Aggressive' great white shark knocks man off board

A 2.28m Great White is tagged by the Department of Primary Industries at Coffs Harbour on Tuesday.

"It went under his SUP towards our son, then circled around."

Police: Have you seen Jak?

Have you seen Jak McLean?

Police are seeking assistance from the public to locate Jak McLean

Why the shark barrier at Lighthouse Beach has stalled

Lighthouse Beach at Ballina closed after a shark attack.
Photo Cathy Adams / The Northern Star

Work on the controversial shark barrier has halted - here's why

CCTV footage leads to arrest of woman for theft, drugs

Quick action by retail staff lead to a woman being arrested

Village masterplan push: Newrybar’s future up for discussion

COMMUNITY MASTERPLAN: Newrybar resident and business owner Paul Moses is chairman of the Newrybar Association which is trying to establish a masterplan for the historic village to put to Ballina Shire Council.

Community group wants to prepare masterplan for village

Pokémon Go makes Ingress into Clarence Valley

Pokemon Go player Dan Optland is pictured in the game w ith a "Pidgey" Pokemon he lured to a Pokestop at the Clarence Valley Conservatorium.

Pokemon Go Pokestops evolved from hard work of unsuspecting friends.

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Police foiled terrifying 1m plot to kidnap Katie Price

Police foiled a £1 million plot to kidnap Katie Price and her family

Kristen Bell's baby confession

Kristen Bell once pretended to be asleep when her baby woke up early

Babylon 5's Jerry Doyle has died

Jerry Doyle has died from unknown causes at the age of 60

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

Massive residential 9-storey high-rise hit by delays

An artist’s impression of the eight-storey-high apartment complex that Bernoth Holdings wants to build in South Toowoomba, next to the City Golf Club.

Developer struggles to get approved high-rise development started