COMBATING gun crime in NSW remains the top priority of the state's police force, senior officers announced on Wednesday.
In the past 12 months, more than 9000 guns have been taken off NSW streets and 3352 people have been charged as part of ongoing investigations by Strike Force Raptor and Operations Apollo and Spartan.
Unveiling a new plan to tackle out-of-control gun violence in Sydney on Wednesday, NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said all three strike forces had been brought together to form Operation Talon.
"There is no single source of gun crime violence...guns have fallen into the hands of organised crime, outlaw motorcycle gangs, mid-level crime groups and petty thieves and the lines are often blurred," Mr Scipione said
"That's why it is so important to focus on all these aspects in a unified way...pulling our resources together under the one banner we have that opportunity."
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.