News

Canada bomb threat: 60 schools evacuated

Pupils were herded out of school towards 'safe' designation spots
Pupils were herded out of school towards 'safe' designation spots Independent News & Media

ALL schools have been evacuated in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island following a potential bomb threat, say police.

More than 60 schools are affected.

Parents have been told they can collect their children from schools' designated safe locations.

Sergeant Kevin Bailey said local law enforcement got a call from Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) in Ottawa to say they had received a fax which threatened schools in Prince Edward Island.

The fax had indicated that a bomb had been placed in schools - it did not specify which of the more than 45 schools - and the bombs would be detonated on Wednesday, he said.

He added that the police had attended the schools, and consulted with staff, asking them to look out for anything suspicious.

The police did not bring in search dogs or carry out searches themselves. He said it would take "weeks" for dogs to sniff out every inch of the schools.

"There was no threat found. We are also aware that similar threats were found at schools in Nova Scotia and we are following up whether that threat is related to this one."

He said he did not know who was responsible but the police are investigating how many people were involved and whether the threat was a hoax.

He called for parents to remain calm.

Mr Bailey pointed out that this incident was a first in the history of the province.

"I don't recall such a threat to all schools in Prince Edward Island [before]," he said.

Parker Grimmer, director of the public schools on the Island, said he hoped this would not happen again.

"This is new for us. But we have procedures and plans and I'm confident we followed them," he said, adding that the schools would review their emergency process in case of a future evacuation.

College campuses in Nova Scotia were also evacuated earlier in the day following bomb threats but it is unclear whether the two events are related.

One of the campuses received a bomb threat shortly before 8am while the other campus had an unspecified threat, say police.

Prince Edward Island University was also closed down.

No injuries have been reported and all students are expected to return to school and college as normal on Thursday.

Two other "suspicious items" were reported outside cabinet and government offices in Halifax and near a library. They turned out to be a water cooler and rubbish, and police gave the all clear shortly after they were called to the scene.

The provnce is Canada's smallest, with a population of around 146,000.

Prime minister Justin Trudeau returned to Ontario last night after attending the United Nations summit in New York.

Topics:  bomb threat, canada, evacuation, school


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Walt Secord rejects Tony Abbott's call for shark cull

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott has called for a shark cull on the North Coast.

Tony Abbott called for a shark cull on the North Coast

Minister to visit Ballina to announce new shark strategy

NSW Minister for Primary Industries Niall Blair

Primary Industries Minister Niall Blair to travel to Ballina today

Local Partners

PHOTOS: Firies battle North Coast bushfire

NSW Fire and Rescue crews are fighting a bushfire at Ballina.

Great white tagged, released off Lighthouse Beach

This 2.91m great white was tagged and released at Angels Beach, Ballina.

The 49th shark to be tagged in NSW released off Lighthouse Beach

Walt Secord rejects Tony Abbott's call for shark cull

Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott has called for a shark cull on the North Coast.

Tony Abbott called for a shark cull on the North Coast

Minister to visit Ballina to announce new shark strategy

NSW Minister for Primary Industries Niall Blair

Primary Industries Minister Niall Blair to travel to Ballina today

How can we prevent shark attacks on the North Coast?

Multiple people attended the scene at Lighthouse Beach where a shark attack took place around 9:30 on Monday morning. Photo Marc Stapelberg / The Northern Star

How can further shark attacks on the North Coast be prevented?

Ballina's 'leaning tower' set for demolition

GOODBYE TO OLD, HELLO TO NEW: Ballina Marine Rescue's Commander John Donoghue with the old and new towers in the background.

And the Marine Rescue volunteers can't wait to see it go

More Northern River schools needed to be counted in

John Foreman and Jay Laga'aia at a songwriting workshop earlier this year.

Music - Count Us In will be held in November

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

More Northern River schools needed to be counted in

John Foreman and Jay Laga'aia at a songwriting workshop earlier this year.

Music - Count Us In will be held in November

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber split

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber have split after 11 years together.

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

Couple build their own 'tiny house' for $45k

Holly Bowen and Oli Bucher built their "tiny house" themselves, only hiring a plumber and an electrician. Photo/supplied

The house, which is built on a trailer and can be towed.

Sunshine Beach property breaks real estate record

The property overlooks Sunshine Beach, as the backyard lawn meets the sand.

Sunshine Beach mansion sale smashes real estate record

SOLD: Historic hotel finds new owner

Post Office Hotel Grafton

Photo Adam Hourigan / The Daily Examiner

Pub in new hands and heading in a brand new direction

Peppers Airlie Beach put on the market

ON THE MARKET: Peppers Airlie Beach is being for recievership sale by CBRE Hotels and PRD Nationwide Airlie Beach.

Peppers Airlie Beach is being offered for sale.

3500 jobs on the way with new $950 million resort

Residential, tourist, community, and open space on Hummock Hill Island.

PROPERTY developers plan to begin construction next year.