EVER get the feeling that there are more advertisements on television than actual programs? Emu Park's Barry Maslen does - it's his pet hate.
From the Ahh Brah to the Abswing and endless plugs for competitive cooking shows, Barry has had enough.
"It's just one after the other - I'm fed up with it," he said.
"In an hour program we only get about three quarters of actual television."
In the Australian Communications and Media Authority's (ACMA) Digital Australians report released in October last year, 45% of people complained about the number of ad breaks on television.
The issue even beat violence on television to become the number one concern of viewers.
But Barry said not only were there too many advertisements, they were also the wrong ads - the worst being those pushing greasy, unhealthy foods.
"They're to blame for obesity in younger generations, 110%," he said.
Barry, who has worked in the food industry in the past and lived overseas both in New Zealand and Norfolk Island, said Australia's obesity problem was of growing concern.
"Here it's just too convenient for young people to get junk food and the ads don't help.
"I know they've got to play them otherwise there would be no TV at all but advertise something that's decent and not detrimental to our health," Barry said.
The 10 most complained about ads of 2011
Data from the Australian Advertising Standards Bureau:
1. Poster - Queensland Association for Health Communities - The ad portrays two men hugging and says "Rip & Roll" with a picture of a condom on it.
2. TV - Energy Watch - Featured an Indian person doorknocking to sell the best deals for energy.
3. Billboard - MyPeace - Jesus - A prophet of Islam with a phone number for people to call to receive a free Koran.
4. Billboard - Queensland Association for Health Communities - Rip Roll - The ad portrays two men with one kissing the other's neck. The billboard says it is a safe sex message.
5. TV - Essential Beauty Franchising - The advertisement shows a book with the first letters of words swapped around to tell the story of a woman requiring hair removal from personal areas.
6. Poster - General Pants Group - Photo of a topless woman. Her nipples taped with black tape and male hands unzipping her pants. In the background there are giant words advertising 'Sex' and tiny print saying 'fashion'.
7. TV - Foxtel Management Pty Ltd - A family is shown setting up Christmas lights on their house. When the lights go on they spell out the words MERRY FOXMAS.
8. TV - Supre Pty Ltd - Woman wearing product dancing around.
9. Billboard - The Tool Shop -Three provocatively dressed women stand near the words "How about all three?"
Tie 10. TV - Optus Communications - The ad features two crocodiles " "playing" tennis. They are using a Sugar Glider as the "ball".
And: TV - Santos Ltd - Ad shows a farmer on his tractor in a beautiful countryside setting advocating coal seam gas and claiming the advertiser, Santos, is looking after our future.
What ads bother you the most, and why? Leave a comment below.
This lush and tranquil property will appeal to those who are looking for a unique and peaceful home. This inspired Balinese pavilion style home, set on...
This inviting original style timber home has been meticulously maintained and is in a brilliant location central to Byron Bay's town centre. The home exudes...
ORIGINAL 1880's AUTHENTIC "Bangalow Cottage" On the edge of town is this lovely original cottage - retaining many original features - all within 5 minutes...
Perched high on the Montecollumn Ridge, this exclusive 17 acre property boasts panoramic 360 degree views from the pristine beaches enveloping Byron Bay through to...
As you enter the property you will feel the fantastic combination of views and privacy that this home offers. The open living/kitchen/dining with polished...
OPEN HOUSE each Sat 11am-12noon commencing 13th February....Just listed for Auction is this attractive acreage within lush surrounds which offers outstanding North...
Located directly opposite Byron Bay's popular Belongil Beach is this stylish, modern and very comfortable two bedroom apartment. Boasting an easy care open layout...
Situated at the top of one of the most desirable streets in the area, this stunning modern family home is split over four spacious levels and has been designed to...
In a desirable lifestyle location, walking distance to the main cafÃ© and restaurant strip of the Bangalow Township and only 15 minutes to the world renowned...
This stately and generous property will accommodate a large extended or growing family, visiting guests and workers for the farm if so desired. The main residence...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.